1. Use of hook and point gauges to measure water level
2. Use of a Pitot-static tube to measure flow rate
3. Learning how to apply force-momentum and steady flow energy equations to simple flow situations
4. Understanding the relationship between water level above the crest of a weir and flow rate over the weir
5. Using hydraulic structures to control level, e.g. syphon spillways
6. Understanding sub-and super-critical flow.
7. Characteristics of waves
8. Hydraulic jump
9. Using hydraulic structures for control of flow e.g. sluice gate
10. Applying and understanding Manning's formula
11. Measurement of velocity profiles.